[logback-dev] [JIRA] Commented: (LBCORE-97) Starvation on AppenderBase.doAppend

Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen ravn at runjva.com
Sat May 30 19:53:10 CEST 2009

Joern Huxhorn skrev:

> On 30.05.2009, at 15:11, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen wrote:
>
>> Joern Huxhorn (JIRA) skrev:
>>> This is a general problem that was introduced in Java 1.6. It's only
>>> showing up badly in case of real multi-core systems which made it a
>>> bit hard for me to analyze on my terribly outdated 3-year old laptop
>>> at work...
>>> I guess that's the price a company has to pay if their developers
>>> are forced to work with flint stone devices.
>>>
>>> Are you reading this, IT department?? :p
>>>
>> If I understand you correctly, your current machine WORKS, but a
>> newer will NOT work?
>>
>> So you are basically proving that you should NEVER have a newer machine?
>>

> I'd suggest that the development machine should ideally be comparable
> to the machine that the app is later deployed to ;)

Ok.  So NOBODY should EVER have a newer machine :)

The IT-department will love that - think of all the money saved :-D

> Granted, this is a very special case but my laptop is really slow as
> hell and constantly overburdened by IDEA plus the rest of the apps
> necessary for day-to-day work :(

First step is maximizing the RAM.   You have, already?

Next step is sitting down with the one responsible for your
_productivity_ and let him see you work for ten minutes with all the
waits.
> And to get serious again :) our app may work on my machine but it does
> so only by chance since it essentially contains code based on wrong
> assumptions...
Raise the flag :)

--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen  "...plus... Tubular Bells!"