[logback-dev] Better introspection into logging setup

Robert Elliot rob at lidalia.org.uk
Mon Mar 1 18:28:58 CET 2010

JCL loggers don't have configuration - JCL, like SLF4J, is a facade, not an implementation.  The jcl-to-slf4j bridge is just about redirecting calls to jcl to end up calling slf4j - there's no configuration involved.  The JCL and SLF4J apis are similar, since both are inspired by log4j.

I'm struggling to understand the problem you are trying to solve. That may be my failing of comprehension, but is it possible you have fundamentally misunderstood the relationship between slf4j, the slf4j bridges and logback?

Apologies if you do understand this, but think of the bridges as a funnel to get all the log statements from all those libraries out there that log to different logging systems (log4j, juli, jcl) redirected into SLF4J.  Then, once SLF4J is on  the receiving end of all log statements, you put an implementation underneath (e.g. logback) which you can configure.  You don't need to know what subproject uses what logging machinery because they all end up using logback via slf4j.