[logback-dev] Specific file rollover time

Andreas Dejung andreas.dejung at velsys.com
Wed Mar 3 23:46:28 CET 2010

Hi all

What I can see there is no way to roll the file on a specific time. E.g.
every day at 17:00

As we require this I had a closer look on how logback decides to roll. I
found the  ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.helper.RollingCalendar is
responsible to define when the next roll should happen. I extended it so
that one can define the time rather then 0:00 if you roll daily.

Now my problem is that there is no way to set my extended
RollingCalander on the TimeBasedFileNameAndTriggeringPolicyBase as it is
created inside the start method. Overriding the start of
TimeBasedFileNameAndTriggeringPolicyBase and do the same without calling
the super method works only if me override is in the same package which
is not a nice thing. The problem would be easy solved if you would add a
setter for the RollingCalander to the
TimeBasedFileNameAndTriggeringPolicyBase and then change the line

rc = new RollingCalendar();

if(rc==null){

            rc = new RollingCalendar();

      }

Clearly I could just go ahead and change that by myself but I thought
maybe someone else want's this as well and it would be nice not to keep
a separate code base.

Let me know what you think and if you want an example of my specific
time rolling calendar.

Cheers Andy