[logback-dev] CRLF line endings in source repository

Tomasz Nurkiewicz nurkiewicz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 21:17:41 CEST 2011

> I would like to solve this problem but am not an autocrlf expert.

Me neither, but I can definitely see some inconsistencies in the repo
when it comes to EOL. I downloaded few files directly bypassing git:

$ wget -q --no-check-certificate
https://github.com/ceki/logback/raw/master/logback-core/src/main/java/ch/qos/logback/core/util/EnvUtil.java
$ wget -q --no-check-certificate
https://github.com/ceki/logback/raw/master/logback-core/src/main/java/ch/qos/logback/core/util/FileSize.java

$ file EnvUtil.java FileSize.java
EnvUtil.java:  ASCII English text, with CRLF line terminators
FileSize.java: ASCII English text

EnvUtil.java is one of the files being marked as modified after fresh
clone, while FileSize.java is not.

As for cloning, when I change my core.autocrlf setting either to false
or to true, no modified files are shown after clone. Only /input/ causes
problems - but this is a recommended Linux setting [1]; also for sure
some files with CRLF leaked into the repository.

> Once on a Windows on a Linux host, I cloned a fresh copy a did not
> notice the problem you describe. I had autocrlf = true. On the Linux
> machine, removing autocrlf did not seem to make any difference.
>
> Can you try with autocrlf = true and with autocrlf unset?
>
> Cheers,

pozdrowienia

--
Tomasz Nurkiewicz