[logback-dev] Syslog Appender

auwall wallajr.auburn at gmail.com
Sun May 15 20:22:16 CEST 2011

I am having trouble getting the syslog appender to work. I'm just trying to
get a syslog appender to work in the most basic way. I copied the text from
the logback documentation to set up my syslog appender. All i changed was
the facility to USER and the host name to my ip address. When i log to the
syslog appender i get no errors, but nothing is showing up in my system log
file. I think it may have to do with this "When testing this configuration,
you should verify that the remote syslog daemon accepts requests from an
external source. Experience shows that, by default, syslog daemons usually
deny requests coming via a network connection." So my question is: how can i
find out if the syslog daemon running on my machine accepts requests coming
via network connection and if it doesn't how do i go about making it accept
them?

Any help and direction would be appreciated. Thanks