[logback-dev] Copyright headers

Tony Trinh tony19 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 12:36:35 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:12 AM, ceki <ceki at qos.ch> wrote:

> Hello Christian, Joern, Les, Tomasz, Tony, as well all future
> contributors,
>
> I am super thrilled to see the logback-extensions project taking off
> with contribution flowing in. It makes it all the more important to
> tackle legal issues as early as possible in order to as to avoid
> ill-will in the future. No one likes to see the rules change in
> mid-flight.
>
> My apologies for not clarifying this before. As you are probably
> aware, the CLA [1] assigns copyright of your contributors to QOS.ch
> (see section 2). Thus, it makes sense to state QOS.ch as the copyright
> holder and not each individual contributor. To be blunt, QOS.ch cannot
> release software for which it does not hold copyright. Of course, the
> various @author tags and commit history reveal the actual authors,
> pursuant the authors' moral rights [2].
>
> More concretely, the headers in [3, 4, 5] need to change
>
>  from
>
>  * Copyright 2012 Tomasz Nurkiewicz, Christian Trutz, et. al.
>  * Copyright 2012 Ceki Gulcu, Les Hazlewood, et. al.
>  * Copyright 2012 Ceki Gulcu, Anthony Trinh, et. al.

>  * Copyright (C) 2012, QOS.ch. All rights reserved.

I've updated EclipseLogAppender.java and related files (as that's the only
area I've touched in this project). I'm tempted to do a global
search+replace, but I'll wait for everyone's input. Or if you're feeling
frisky, this command should do it (tested in OSX from the
logback-extensions source directory):

$ grep -lr 'Copyright 2012' . | xargs gsed -i 's/Copyright.*/Copyright (C)
2012, QOS.ch. All rights reserved./g'

> The Apache License is OK for the moment although we should one day
> settle for either Apache or LGPL+EPL for *both* logback and
> logback-extensions. Having two separate licenses for two closely
> related projects is a little incoherent.

I agree with your point on the separate licenses and that there should be a
common license. I had actually asked Les about this a while ago, and it
turns out the license choice was merely an accident. Most of his projects
use the Apache license, so his IDE is setup to insert it automatically. He
didn't mean to make it different from logback.