[logback-dev] Copyright headers

ceki ceki at qos.ch
Fri Jun 15 22:28:50 CEST 2012

On 15.06.2012 20:19, Les Hazlewood wrote:

 > I didn't even think about this when I created the initial project.  I
 > just defaulted to Apache 2.0 because I do this for all of my projects.
 >   Apache 2.0 (for better or worse) is almost universally accepted in
 > legal departments for organizations and corporations worldwide as it is
 > the most understood.  It is very 'business friendly', so almost all
 > organizations can use it, which is best for adoption.
 >
 > For example, one of my (minor) gripes with Logback is that I can't use
 > it in Apache Shiro for test cases because of the LGPL license.  If it
 > were Apache 2.0 licensed, I could have used it.  Instead I'm stuck with
 > Log4J for my tests.  Granted, this is a minor point for Shiro, but it
 > serves as an example of how adoption can be affected.

Hi Les,

I know you are busy elsewhere, so thank you for taking the time to
post. I would like to keep the discussion on project organization
separate from the question of which license to use
(Apache/EPL/LGPL) for logback.  I'll answer your post on project
organization in a separate email.

You can use logback in Apache Shiro! Logback is dual licensed under
LGPL and EPL. The latter is a "Category B: Reciprocal License" in
Apache terminology. According to Apache's Third-Party Licensing Policy
[1], EPLed software can be consumed by Apache projects. Apache
Jackrabbit does, and given the people involved, it is not for lack of
knowledge about licensing issues.

Or am I missing something?

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html

http://twitter.com/#!/ceki