[logback-dev] joran performance with reflection

Nathan Jensen ndjensen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 18:23:29 CET 2013

Have the logback developers ever considered allowing Joran to be configured
to a less advanced mode or providing a different engine for parsing logback
XML config files?  Specifically in our application the startup time is very
important, and we spend over a second at startup waiting for slf4j to be
configured with logback.  Timing reveals that almost all the time is inside
PropertySetter.introspect().  We are not using any advanced features of
joran like custom rules, so we don't really need the overhead of
reflection.  It should be possible to configure logback with XML files and
avoid reflection since we are only using  types/interfaces known to logback
such as Appender, Encoder, TriggeringPolicy, etc.  Could Joran provide a no
reflection mode or logback provide an alternate way of parsing XML files?