[logback-dev] Question about concurrency with custom appender [ InfluxDB Use Case ]

Nicolas Muller n.muller at treeptik.fr
Tue Mar 31 17:50:51 CEST 2015

Hello,

I am new on this mailing list. I am a french java developper working in
Aix-en-Provence, France around Java and Docker. At the moment I am trying
to develop a bridge between InfluxDB (metrics database) and Logback. My
Proof of concept is here : https://github.com/zepouet/influxdb-logback

It is not final. Documentation will come each day. It is a young project.
Therefore I have a big question for global appender architecture.

I would like to create two loggers with one appender to reference two
differents series.
Is my solution right or may i fear threading problem with collision ?

Logback is wonderful with MDC and pattern rule for naming series.
So could you tell me if i am wrong since the beginning of my project or can
I go on ?
There is a lot of features from Logback to add in order to have a first
class citizen logger for InfluxDB.

Thanks you very much. Best regards
Nicolas

<appender name="INFLUXDB" class="org.labaix.logback.InfluxDbAppender">

    <source>
        <ip>192.168.59.103</ip>
        <port>8086</port>
        <user>root</user>
        <password>root</password>
        <database>testdb</database>
        <create>true</create>
        <version>0.8</version>
    </source>
    <serie>
        <id>SensorTemperature</id>
        <name>machine.%X{machine}.type.%X{type} temperature_${byMonth}</name>
        <timeUnit>MILLISECONDS</timeUnit>
    </serie>
</appender>

<logger name="SensorTemperature" level="info" additivity="false">
    <appender-ref ref="INFLUXDB"/>
</logger>

<appender name="INFLUXDB2" class="org.labaix.logback.InfluxDbAppender">
    <source>
        <ip>192.168.59.103</ip>
        <port>8086</port>
        <user>root</user>