[logback-dev] removing context selectors will break our libraries and applications

Garret Wilson garret at globalmentor.com
Sun Apr 28 16:00:16 CEST 2019

Hi, everyone. We're really wanting to release a new version of our Clogr
library to work with the latest Logback, but there's so much unclear
about the current status. First, if you could be so kind as to read my
previous email blow, which I sent almost a year ago. Now here are the
areas I'm unclear on:

  * I had indicated that our library relies on ContextSelector. This
    class appears to be back in 1.3.0-alpha4, yet I see that
    https://logback.qos.ch/news.html still says that, "Due to lack of
    user interest, logback-classic no longer supports logging separation
    by way of ContextSelector." Is it the case that the news page is
    simply out of date and invalid?
  * As I explain in depth at https://stackoverflow.com/a/38317149/421049
    , SLF4J previous relied on StaticLoggerBinder to determine which
    SLF4J implementation would be used. The Logback implementation
    ContextSelectorStaticBinder would then determine which
    ContextSelector to use. Now that there is no StaticLoggerBinder, how
    does Logback call ContextSelectorStaticBinder.init() so that the
    default context selector will be set up?
  * In previous versions our library would call
    StaticLoggerBinder.getSingleton() to ensure that SLF4J would
    initialize the binding and set up the Logback default logger
    context. Since that is now gone, what can we call to make sure that
    SLF4J is bound to the correct implementation and the default logger
    context is available in Logback?
  * Is
    ContextSelectorStaticBinder.getSingleton().getContextSelector().getDefaultLoggerContext()
    still guaranteed to be the default logger context that was
    initialized by Logback?
  * If we switch to Logback 1.3.0-alpha4 and SLF4J 1.8.0-beta4, will all
    the other libraries that were compiled against SLF4J 1.7.25 still work?
  * Is it recommended that applications switch to Logback 1.3.0-alpha4
    and SLF4J 1.8.0-beta4, or is this just test code that is going to be
    experimented with for several years, and production code should stay
    with Logback 1.2.3 and SLFJ 1.7.25?

These are important, essential questions. Thanks in advance for
explanations.

Garret