[logback-dev] Release of logback versions 1.3.2 and 1.4.2

Ceki Gülcü ceki at qos.ch
Sun Oct 2 22:59:41 CEST 2022

Hello all,

I am thrilled to announce the simultaneous release of logback versions
1.3.2 and 1.4.3. Both versions require slf4j-api version 2.0.x or
later.

These releases bring improved MDC performance. For other details, please
refer to the the news page:

    http://logback.qos.ch/news.html

Why two simultaneous releases?

Given that downstream users are likely to depend on either Java EE (in
the javax namespace) or on Jakarta EE (in the jakarta namespace) in
their projects, it was deemed important for logback to support both EE
alternatives.

As such, logback 1.3.x supports Java EE whereas logback 1.4.x supports
Jakarta EE, otherwise the two versions are feature identical.

Both 1.3.x and 1.4.x series require the fluent-API introduced in SLF4J
2.0.x.

The 1.3.x series requires Java 8 at runtime. If you wish to build
logback from source, you will need Java 9. Reproducible builds require
Java 18.

The 1.4.x series requires Java 11 at build time and at runtime.

------------------

Joran, logback's configuration system, has been rewritten to use an
internal representation model which can be processed separately. Given
the breadth of the changes, support for SiftingAppender was dropped
temporarily and reintroduced in logback version 1.3.0-alpha16. Support
for Groovy configuration was dropped for security reasons but was
recovered by Tucker Pelletier (virtualdogbert). See:

  https://github.com/virtualdogbert/logback-groovy-config

For benchmarking figures please see:

  http://logback.qos.ch/performance.html

Recent logback releases are reproducible. This means that anyone
checking out the code corresponding to the release version from github
and building that local copy, will get obtain an identical binary to
the binary found on Maven central. Note that due to issue MJAR-275
with the module-info.java produced in earlier java versions,
reproducible builds require Java 19.

Donations and sponsorship

You can also support SLF4J/logback/reload4j projects via donations and
sponsorship. We thank our current supporters and sponsors for their
continued contributions and in particular Spotify R&D and Exoscale.

Sponsorship link: https://github.com/sponsors/qos-ch

Announcement mailing list:

You can receive SLF4J/logback/reload4j related announcements by
subscribing QOS.ch announce list, please visit the following URL.

Enjoy,