[logback-user] Adding a timestamp to a FileAppender file

Ralph Goers ralph.goers at dslextreme.com
Thu Oct 30 15:02:30 CET 2008

I would suggest you create a Jira issue for this. I would suggest the
ability to add a custom pattern resolver to the appender might be what
you want. Before Logback I had written my own logging framework that
supported this. I had considered making this request myself but so far I
am not sure that we actually need it yet.  It could look something like:

<appender name="file" class="ch.qos.logback.core.FileAppender">
  <File
resolver="com.mycorp.logback.MyPatternResolver">myjob.%{host}.%{datetime}.log</File>
  <Append>false</Append>
  <layout class="ch.qos.logback.classic.PatternLayout">
    <Pattern>%msg%n</Pattern>
  </layout>
</appender>

The Resolver interface would have a single method that looks like
String resolve(String pattern)

Ralph