[logback-user] Invitation for beta users

Loren Siebert loren at stackhub.com
Mon Apr 6 18:36:00 CEST 2009

Thorbjørn,

Sorry, no screenshots yet!

The initial functionality I'm aiming for in StackHub are based on
these sorts of scenarios:
- Easy visualization of event trends over time. For instance, I have a
Java app that runs on about a dozen servers, occasionally spitting out
a WARN event when it takes more than 300ms to write a transaction to
the database. Let me aggregate those together across the whole app and
track how often they happen over time.
- I deploy a new version of my app and, in the middle of the night, it
starts throwing uncaught exceptions. Gather them all together but let
me get notified just once about that, and I'll mark it as resolved
once I've deployed a fix.
- My app has Jetty embedded, and Jetty spits out log events when
available sockets are low/unavailable. How often does that happen on
Host #N, or across the app as a whole? If it happens more than 3 times
in an hour, I want to be notified.

Logback is perfect for letting an application emit this information to
a number of different channels (file, SMTP, etc). StackHub aims to
take that output and make it easier to inspect, analyze, and act upon
it.

If you have any other questions about StackHub or want to try it out,
please feel free to contact me off-list.

-Loren