[logback-user] About the file location in File appender

Klaus Teller klaus.teller at gmx.net
Tue Aug 18 00:47:49 CEST 2009

Hi,

When i use the file appender and specify only the log file's name (as opposed to absolute path), the log file is created in the directory from which the application is started.

For instance, if i start tomcat from the tomcat bin directory, the log file is created right there in the bin directory. If i start tomcat from my home directory, the log file will be created in my home directory.

Is this intentional? If so, can somebody help me understand the rational?

cheers,
Klaus.