[logback-user] About the file location in File appender

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Wed Aug 19 16:23:13 CEST 2009

Klaus Teller wrote:

 > That's new to me. I don't recall that log4j is interpreting relative
 > paths this way.  In a web app for instance, I would take "relative" to
 > mean relative to the deployment directory of the application. That is,
 > if my app is deployed in ${TOMCAT_PATH}/webapps/myapp, a my log file
 > my_log.txt would be located precisely in ${TOMCAT_PATH}/webapps/myapp.

Log4j does *not* function as you describe. I should know, I wrote the
code. Maybe you were defining a system variable (possibly with -D on
the command line), using the said variable in your configuration file, and
then you forgot that you were defining a variable to obtain the
desired functionality. Is that possible?