[logback-user] Multiple JVMs writing to a single log file

Becker, Thomas Thomas.Becker at netapp.com
Fri Aug 27 20:11:21 CEST 2010

I had a question about multiple JVMs writing to a single logfile.  I'm
aware of the "prudent" setting on FileAppender and that its purpose is
to allow this.  But we have noticed that we are getting the expected
behavior without turning prudent mode on.  That is, we are seeing the
output of both processes interleaved in the single file even with
prudent=false.  So my question is, are we just getting lucky?  Is this
due to the platform we're running on (Linux) and will it break on
Windows?  Honestly we are probably going to switch to logging to
separate files per application instance, I was just curious as to why
this is working and what would be different ifwe enabled prudent mode.