[logback-user] TurboFilter scope

Espen Rydningen espenrydningen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 14:54:38 CEST 2010

Hi

I want to revisit this subject and theme. I saw that this thread ended 20th
May 2008, but I did not find any conclusions on your discussion. The reason
I find this subject interesting, is that I have use case which I can't seem
to solve in any other way then setting a turbofilter on an appender.

This is situation:
One enterprise web application, which today uses a proprietary, home built,
logging framework, logs statement to both file and to a database via an EJB.
I have started the work to replace this logging framework with LogBack/SL4J.

Our new design would include a jms queue where we post log messages, and we
would use the jms appender to get this done, and a
<codeSnippet>
                logger.debug("Bar property was not defined in
abc.properties");
                FooLog.log(logcontext, 6001, new String[] { "Bar property
was not defined in abc.properties" }, null);
</codeSnippet>

The logger is the file logger and the FooLog is responsible for sending log
message to the EJB

<codeSnippet>
                logger.debug("com.a.b.c.configfile was not defined in
abc.properties");
</codeSnippet>

<codeSnippet>
Marker JMS_MARKER = MarkerFactory.getMarker("JMS");
                logger.debug("com.a.b.c.configfile was not defined in
abc.properties");
</codeSnippet>

This is my use case: