[logback-user] java.lang.ClassCircularityError: java/util/logging/LogRecord

Sergey Parhomenko sparhomenko at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 16:22:52 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am using logback (latest version) on Tomcat, and have this error when
trying to start the application:

*Exception in thread "RMI RenewClean-<ip>:<port>"
java.lang.ClassCircularityError: java/util/logging/LogRecord*
*at
org.slf4j.bridge.SLF4JBridgeHandler.getSLF4JLogger(SLF4JBridgeHandler.java:200)
*
*at org.slf4j.bridge.SLF4JBridgeHandler.publish(SLF4JBridgeHandler.java:289)
*
*at java.util.logging.Logger.log(Logger.java:458)*
*at java.util.logging.Logger.doLog(Logger.java:480)*
*at java.util.logging.Logger.logp(Logger.java:596)*

The error is blocking Tomcat startup.
The application has logback and jul-over-slf4j bridge JARs inside, and is
using a servlet context listener to run *
SLF4JBridgeHandler.removeHandlersForRootLogger()* and *
SLF4JBridgeHandler.install()* on startup. The *logback.xml* used has *
ch.qos.logback.classic.jul.LevelChangePropagator* context listener in it,
with *resetJUL* set to *true*.
I saw a thread on this mailing list in February
2011<http://mailman.qos.ch/pipermail/slf4j-user/2011-February/001044.html>
with
the similar issue so it might be quite old. Tomcat version is 7, but the
mail list thread and this
StackOverflow<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2656565/classcircularityerror-when-running-tomcat6-from-eclipse>question
are using Tomcat 6 and having the same problem.

As the last answer on StackOverflow correctly says, error is reproducible
only if the *LevelChangePropagator* element is in the beginning of *
logback.xml*. Moving it to the end of the file fixes the issue, so it has
an easy workaround.

If you have problems reproducing it please let me know, I'll try to provide
a test project.

--
Best regards,
Sergey Parhomenko