[logback-user] Timing of sifting appender dynamic appender instantiation

Stuart Rossiter stuart.p.rossiter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 18:34:37 CEST 2013

On 11 April 2013 15:53, diroussel <nabble at diroussel.xsmail.com> wrote:

> Stuart,
>
> I understand what you mean now.  It definately creates the dynamic appender
> on append.  I've been reading the source that does that,
> SiftingAppenderBase, today looking at another issue.
>
> I can see why it wouldn't make sense to ido it in MDC.put().  Maybe there
> is
> another way?
>
> I take if your encoder is dynamic, so can't be specified in logback.xml.
>
>  - Maybe you can do it with a logback.groovy file, I've heard that is more
> flexible.
>
>  - Maybe you could define many appenders, one for each encoder, and then
> use
> a filter to control which one the event goes to?
>
>  - Maybe you could use a variable name in the encoder class name, which is
> replaced by the sifter before the appender is created?  Annoyingly
> SiftingApender only works on one key at a time, so this might not work for
> you.
>
> David

It would be less annoying if the addition occurred before active logging
levels were checked, because then I could log a dummy TRACE level message
to get things started. Unfortunately, I have to log something that actually
gets logged, so have to use ERROR level to be safe. I don't think your last
two possibilities will fly in my case, because my encoder has run-time
'things' in it (so it can't be instantiated via any kind of default
constructor). Anyway, I have a simple-ish workaround, and may investigate
more (incl. looking at the Logback source) when/if I have time.

Thanks,
Stuart