[logback-user] Does Logback remove ANSI codes from messages? - 1.0.9

Howard Lewis Ship hlship at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 20:53:19 CEST 2013

I'm using Logback 1.0.9.

I've been doing a bit of work to make use of ANSI graphics renditions in
the text I'm outputting; what I'm seeing is that when the ANSI-enhanced
text passes through Logback, the ANSI formatting is stripped out.

[image: Inline image 1]

As you can see in the above snapshot; if I print the text to System.out,
the ANSI codes (to make some of the text red) are honored.

When the same string is passed to Logback, the ANSI does not appear.

I did a look through the Logback code and could not find anything that
would explain this. Perhaps I missed it, or missed something in the JDK
libraries.

In any case, what I'd like is to be able to see the ANSI-enhanced text in
the console, when the output is triggered by Logback.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210