[logback-user] how to graceful shutdown logback with AsyncAppenders and without immediateFlush

Michael Reinhold mike at coursescheduler.io
Wed Mar 19 15:51:34 CET 2014

Hi Gena,

I agree that logging should be reliable and fast, however this is not
always possible with some targets - particular cloud logging services such
as Loggly, Logentries, Papertrail, Splunk Storm, Loggr, etc. The
AsyncAppender was created to prevent target latency from impacting
application performance by buffering the events and processing them
asynchronously.

My comment around delaying the JVM shutdown was with respect to appenders
that exhibit higher latencies - not local file system appenders.

Once again, I agree completely with you regarding the need for a shutdown
hook to address some modes of shutdown (including both implicit JVM exit
and signals from the OS). This, in combination with shutdown hooks that try
to send log events, are the reasons I began working on the issue of
AsyncAppender not properly flushing its queue. Originally I was working on
a point solution that only addressed AsyncAppender. After some discussion
on the mailing list and in the pull request comments, it was decided to
proceed with a more generic solution than my original proposal -
configurable thread join timeouts for the AsyncAppender and the
ShutdownHookAction. The reason for this is that, with minimally invasive
changes to Logback and no API changes (just configuration elements), we
could reduce the risk of lost events and provide a framework which can be
further built upon in the future.

You describe a number of situations in which the discussed ShutdownHook
implementations don't work. I don't want to argue a bunch of hypothetical
scenarios on the mailing list, these were just descriptions of how it is
possible to extend the ShutdownHooks in Logback. Please understand, I am
not proposing that those are the (or the only) ShutdownHooks that get
implemented - this was merely attempting to describe how different shutdown
hooks could be developed that best meet different needs. Additionally, it
was intended to show how the user could develop something that meets their
specific application needs in the event that one of the Logback provided
ShutdownHooks is not sufficient. Those examples may have been simplistic,
but more complex options are possible. For instance, an
InstrumentationShutdownHook that adds instrumentation into the Logback API
to determine when it is safe to shutdown. Or a HeapWalkerShutdownHook that
investigates the JVM heap to find Logger references. Or a
ThreadHeuristicShutdownHook that analyzes the threads present in the JVM to
determine when the Logback shutdown hook is the last relevant thread
remaining. The point is that the ShutdownHookAction framework can be used
to extend Logback's built-in shutdown cleanup functionality, either by the
Logback team itself, by contributors to the project, or by the end
application developer.

For your scenario in particular: you say that you have shutdown hooks
installed by both your code and by third party libraries you use, correct?
Are the Shutdown hooks inserted by your code and by the libraries
deterministic in terms of name or quantity? If so, you could whitelist
those threads call LoggerContext.stop when they have exited (which you can
confirm during your shutdown hook via either the Thread API or the
ThreadMXBean API). If the shutdown hooks are not deterministic in quantity
or name, you can use the protected
java.lang.ApplicationShutdownHooks<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6865408/i-need-to-list-the-hooks-registered-with-java-lang-applicationshutdownhooks>class
during your application startup to determine the hooks that are
installed and find the names of those hooks. Then your shutdown hook can
check the status of those threads and call LoggerContext.stop once they
have finished processing (excluding the Logbcack Shutdown hook of course).
Actually, after thinking this through, it is possible that this type of a
shutdown hook will work for my application as well...

Don't misunderstand what I am saying - I think your proposal has its merits
and has the potential to improve the reliability in these specific
scenarios that we are discussing. In fact, I feel that if your solution
does work as proposed it would work very well in conjunction with my
changes to AsyncAppender and my addition of the ShutdownHookAction. That
being said, your proposal is not without its challenges. For instance, even
after you have called your proposed prepareToShutdown method you still need
to avoid calling LoggerContext.stop until all other threads/hooks that log
events are finished with their work, otherwise log events may still be
dropped since the loggers are stopped. The same timing & race condition
problems still exist, they have just been moved from one point in code to
another.

I appreciate the discussion - I think your scenario will help to shape the
other types of shutdown hooks that Logback may need to consider adding in
the future.

Regards,

Mike Reinhold