[logback-user] Sanity Checking the Log Stream

Eric Kolotyluk eric.kolotyluk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 19:21:15 CET 2014

I found an interesting problem while configuring our Amazon Kinesis
Connector. After starting up our service everything looks fine, but
after 15 minutes or so, all hell breaks loose.

The Connector is Amazon's code, and it does not throw any exceptions
that our code can catch, rather it just reports a lot of errors in the
log stream. This is clearly an insane situation that we need to catch,
so I was thinking of writing a custom appender, filter, or turbo-filter
to monitor the log stream for insanity. For example, errors per minute
over some threshold.

Does this seem like the right way to address this problem? Have other
people used similar techniques, or other techniques to sanity check the
log stream?

Cheers, Eric