[logback-user] TeeFilter fullResponse not logging for particular response

Scott Koranda skoranda at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 00:11:01 CEST 2015

Hello,

I am using Logback-access 1.1.2 with Jetty 9.2 and have configured the
TeeFilter filter in order to capture both the full request and full
response for a (non-production) webapp.

For the most part the module is working as I expect. I see the full request
logged and also the full response (except for images, which are sensibly
rendered with [IMAGE CONTENTS SUPPRESSED]).

For one particular response, however, the module is not logging the
response contents. It is the response sent to the browser as part of a
SAML2 HTTP-POST flow and it has the form

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <head>
            </head>
        <noscript>
                <strong>Note:</strong> Since your browser does not support
JavaScript,
                you must press the Continue button once to proceed.
        </noscript>

        <form action="https&#x3a;&#x2f;&#x2f;server.edu&#x2f;Shibboleth.sso&#x2f;SAML2&#x2f;POST"
method="post">
                <input type="hidden" name="RelayState"
value="ss&#x3a;mem&#x3a;d0cc80da13dd9a454f8eea89fa76289e14b01a4022760603480766b7db5a9dfc"/>

                <input type="hidden" name="SAMLResponse" value="QUITE LONG
ENCODED STRING"/>
            <noscript>
                    <input type="submit" value="Continue"/>
            </noscript>
        </form>

For some reason only the HTTP headers for the response are logged and not
the actual response content. The content is properly delivered to the
browser so I do not think TeeFilter is interfering with the webapp.

Any ideas on why this particular response is not logged? Is it because the
"QUITE LONG ENCODED STRING" is roughly 11K in size (10,713 characters)?

Thanks,

Scott K