[logback-user] dynamically change logging thesholds

Norbert Kiesel nkiesel at MetricStream.com
Wed Feb 9 01:46:01 CET 2022

Hi,

we often need to change log level thresholds to investigate a problem in a running system. Right now, we do that by using

<configuration  scan="true" scanPeriod="30 seconds">

and then editing the logback.xml file by hand (i.e. using a text editor or Sed or Perl).  I wonder if there is a better way to accomplish this.  I know that we can e.g. use

  <root level="${rootLevel}"/>

but what I do not yet understand is:

  1.  Can I modify the value if this variable via some Java API from within my application?
  2.  Do we still need the scan="true"​ attribute or will the "rootLevel" variable be evaluated every time the logger is used?
  3.  Is there a measurable performance impact by using variables in that manner?

</nk>

---

[MetricStream]<http://www.metricstream.com/>
Norbert Kiesel | Chief Architect
[https://assets.metricstream.com/lp/email-signature-mail-icon-grey.png] nkiesel at metricstream.com<mailto:nkiesel at metricstream.com>
[https://assets.metricstream.com/lp/email-signature-mobile-icon-grey.png]       +1-650-620-2955 [https://assets.metricstream.com/lp/email-signature-phone-icon-grey.png]        +1-650-620-2955
www.metricstream.com<https://www.metricstream.com/>
[Linkedin]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/metricstream>               [Facebook] <https://twitter.com/metricstream>           [Twitter] <https://www.facebook.com/MetricStream>               [youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/user/MetricStream>

[https://assets.metricstream.com/lp/meticstream-email-signature-stream-bg.png]