[logback-user] Custom appender is being ignored

Zac Harvey bitbythecron at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 18:38:04 CEST 2022

Java 11 and logback-classic-1.2.11 here. I'm trying to write my own custom
appender and am following this Baeldung article
<https://www.baeldung.com/custom-logback-appender> to test it out.

My *src/main/java/myapp/logging/CatAppender* appender (on the runtime
classpath):

public class CatAppender extends AppenderBase<ILoggingEvent> {
    @Override
    protected void append(ILoggingEvent eventObject) {
        System.out.println("meow");
    }
}

My *src/main/resources/logback.xml*:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<configuration debug="true">

    <appender name="cat" class="myapp.logging.CatAppender"/>

    <root level="info">
        <appender-ref ref="cat" />
    </root>

</configuration>

In my *build.gradle* I specify to use logback and Lombok:

plugins {
    id "io.freefair.lombok" version '6.4.0'
}

dependencies {
    implementation (
        'ch.qos.logback:logback-classic:1.2.11'
        ,'org.projectlombok:lombok:1.18.16'
    )
}

And then in my Java code I use Lombok to inject an SLF4J logger like so:

@Slf4j
public class SomethingDoer {

    public void doSomething() {
        log.info("this should invoke the CatAppender...");
    }

}

But when *SomethingDoer#doSomething()* runs, I don't see a meow printed to
my STDOUT console. Have I wired anything up incorrectly here?