[logback-user] Logs not rolling over

Trent Phillips trentphillips606 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 18:58:45 CEST 2022

Have been using logback since 2019.
Logback.xml is dated 2019 as last change.
One of our apps now has a lot more traffic. For some reason, this is
causing the rollover to not happen at/around midnight.  It creates the
daily .gz file and names it appropriately, but keeps appending to the same
file.

On Day 1, the unzipped log file is 50 MB. By the end of the second day, it
has become 112MB.
Everynight or early the next morning, it creates a new gz file but does not
truncate the existing file.

By Day 7, the unzipped file is now over 500MB and the zip fails everynight.
Still no truncation.

So, the change is that now this application is getting a lot of hits.  Why
won't the file truncate, and zip at the end of the day?  No changes to the
logback.xml.
I can try to use the limit file size option, but the multiple files created
will potentially break our log analyzer.
The only way to truncate the file is to stop and start Tomcat, which we are
reluctant to do.

What should I do to fix this?

THanks,
Trent