[logback-user] Logback 1.3.0/1.4.0 : slf4j-api & StaticLoggerBinder

Nigel L Jones jonesn at uk.ibm.com
Thu Sep 1 13:33:48 CEST 2022

Hi,
I’m a maintainer on the open source Egeria project https://github.com/odpi/egeria.

 We typically use slf4j in our Java 11 code, and depend on slf4j-api. Then in any ‘applications’ (a client tool, or a server) we include an implementation for logging, such as logback – specifically logback-classic

We regularly update our dependencies and today I tried upgrading from logback 1.2.11 to 1.4.0. On doing so I see we now fail to startup, as slf4j is unable to find a logging implementation. Slf4j is at 2.0.0. We get an exception

Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder

Whilst this is an slf4j config issue in most regards, I wonder if the new logback version is not keeping slf4j happy with its implementation in some way

I opened up an issue in our own bug tracker at https://github.com/odpi/egeria/issues/6884 which has the dependency tree & stack trace in full.

Is there a change in the new version that’s caught us out? Any indications from the log? (If it is a logback issue happy to open up a bug report, but now knowing logback well figured I’d ask here first!)

Many thanks
Nigel Jones

Unless otherwise stated above:

IBM United Kingdom Limited