[slf4j-dev] SLF4J Implementation for Simple Log

Endre Stølsvik Endre at Stolsvik.com
Mon Aug 29 11:36:52 CEST 2005

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005, Ceki [iso-8859-1] Gülcü wrote:

| At 02:36 PM 8/27/2005, you wrote:
| > Ceki Gülcü wrote:
| > > Would you prefer Markers to be dropped in the next version of SLF4J?
| > I've just returned from holidays and have a million emails! (Not literally,
| > thank goodness.)
| > So, to keep it brief, my opinion is that, if SLF4J is true to its intention
| > "to serve as a simple façade for various logging APIs", Markers would be
| > outside the scope, as I believe they push the façade beyond "simple".
|
| Considering that there are no meaningful implementations of Marker, adding
| them to SLF4J seems unnecessary or least premature. And as you say, they add
| some weight to the SLF4J interfaces.
|
| If there are no objections, Markers can be removed in a future release of
| SLF4J.

What about the concept of adding one Logger to several "Categories"? That
would give some of the power of markers, w/o adding much complexity to the
API.

Most logging-systemet could simply output the event to all the "attached"
categories as if it was emitted with several distinct Loggers, while more
elaborate systems/schemes could make for conditional configurations that
required a log-event to be output to a particular set of categories "at
the same time" before forwarding the event to some output-sink.

Regards,
Endre.