[slf4j-dev] Trace and/or Ignore.

Niclas Hedhman niclas at hedhman.org
Tue Jun 28 10:57:01 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 15:23, Greg Wilkins wrote:
> I'm moving a thread with Ceki from the Jetty lists to here - as a
> more appropriate forum.

How come I have not seen that?? Is there more than one Jetty list?

> > 2) Add ignore(Throwable t) method

+10. I really like this idea!!

>   LogSupport.ignore(Logger log, Throwable th);

Can live with this as well, but I would guess that would lead to less usage,
as it is suddenly "out of view" for mainstream developers.

> > 3) Add a trace level.
> but I'd like to see it called verbose rather than trace.

+1.

I have stayed out of the trace() discussion, mostly since "trace" indicates
something related to java.lang.Runtime.traceMethodCalls(). If it is just a
"finer" debug(), then another name, such as verbose, is more suitable.
However, verbose() is not a verb, but an adjective/adverb and should not be
used as method name. OTOH, warning and error is suffering from the same
problem, so I guess it is a moot point. ;o)
But is it apparent that debug() is level in between of warning() and
verbose()?? My natural reaction is that verbose() is part of the production
code, but debug() is only a development tool.

Cheers
Niclas