[slf4j-dev] Merging Logger and MarkingLogger

Boris Unckel boris.unckel.mlg at gmx.net
Thu Jan 26 16:03:08 CET 2006

Hello Ceki,

> I intend to merge methods in MarkingLogger back into Logger with the
> understanding that the bindings for logging systems without marker
> support would simply ignore the Marker data (as was the vase prior to
> SLF4J 1.0beta8).
>
> Comments?

I am anxious to see LogBack - does the name have a meaning?
What is the relationship to log4j 1.2.x, log4j1.3, current nlog4?

Would it be enough to have "MarkingLogger extends Logger" ?
In my oppinion for a valid decision one needs the behaviour of a
MarkingLogger method. Is it possible to implement the MarkingLogger method
with "NOP" or does this change the log output? Or in other words: Is it
possible to implement slf4j for exisiting loggers without breaking the
interface? This question is regarded to all wrapper classes too.

At last:
Many (most?) developers use an IDE with CodeCompletion (in MS terms
IntelliSense). If I have an Interface with dozens of methods it is much more
difficult to see what is possible with the interface.
This happens in the "MarkingLogger extends Logger" case and the "Logger
contains MarkingLogger" case.

Regards
Boris