[slf4j-dev] OSGi for slf4j

John E. Conlon jconlon at verticon.com
Wed Jan 10 17:06:42 CET 2007

Hi slf4j devs,

At the Apache Directory project there has been an ongoing effort to
adopt OSGi as a component services manager and container.  Since the
Apache Directory utilizes SLF4J as a logging facade one of the first
things we needed to do to move the OSGi effort forward was to put
together a OSGi SLF4J solution for logging.

At...
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/sandbox/jconlon/osgi-
services/logging-service/

...you will find a maven project that takes jcl104-over-slf4j, nlog4j
and some simple code (for pushing OSGi LogService calls to slf4j) and
wraps these in a single jar. This jar is a metadata annotated OSGi
bundle. With this single jar (aka bundle) we can offer slfy4, clogging
and OSGi LogService APIs to any services and applications managed by the
OSGi runtime.  Logging output is specified with a single
log4j.properties file.

Certainly a ham fisted approach, but one that has served itself well
during our development and integration testing. As the Apache Directory
moves closer to our OSGi goals we would be delighted to find a more
flexible and sustainable successor for this effort.

Along these lines, I am willing to help the slf4j dev team OSGi enable
it's native jars so that they may be installed and combined in an OSGi
runtime to offer SLF4J services to OSGi bundles.  This would be
accomplished by the inclusion of additional OSGi specific metadata in
the jars manifest during artifact creation and will not effect their
operation as standard jars.

Is there an interest?

kind regards,
John Conlon