[slf4j-dev] Adding TRACE level

Ceki Gulcu listid at qos.ch
Mon Jun 18 21:36:23 CEST 2007

Endre,

Thanks for your message.

Well, the trace level has been requested by some users politely and
sometimes less politely.

I was convinced by Costin's use-case [1] quoted below:

   At the moment we are left with one major issue and that is having a
   jcl11-over-sfl4j bridge. AFAIK, the only difference from jcl104 is
   that trace() calls are using trace level rather then debug.  I have
   several code bases where trace is used extensively for low level
   debugging and the jcl-104 behavior causes a lot of unnecessary output
   and thus prevents to some extent using slf4j.

Since, since SLF4J aims to be an abstraction layer to various logging
APIs, it is no longer a question of whether TRACE is a useful level or
not, but a question of whether the lack of TRACE level *in SLF4J*
causes trouble in using *other* logging systems. Since the answer to
the latter seems to be yes, the addition of the TRACE level was a
logical consequence.

I hope this clarifies the matter,

[1] http://marc.info/?t=117535727300002&r=1&w=2