[slf4j-dev] svn commit: r1331 - slf4j/trunk/slf4j-site/src/site/pages

Joern Huxhorn jhuxhorn at googlemail.com
Mon May 4 19:42:22 CEST 2009

Hi Ceki and Thorbjoern,

On 27.04.2009, at 21:56, Ceki Gulcu wrote:

> Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen wrote:
>> You may notice on re-reading it, that it isn't.  The intended
>> audience is people who happen to know about logging frameworks
>> ALREADY, and the document tries to convince the audience that slf4j
>> is great.
>
> That is correct. The intended audience is supposed to know about
> logging frameworks already.
>>
>> For this document to be true to the title, I believe that at LEAST
>> the following needs to be defined for an *uninitiated* audience:
>> * what IS a logging framework?
>> * what situations would it be reasonable to do logging?
>> * the concept of log levels and the historic background.
>> * the way stacktraces may be attached to a log event
>> * proper explanation of {} placeholders and how to use them in pre-
>> Java5 and after Java 5 (varargs)
>> * examples of using MDC (which I wholeheartedly feel should have a
>> more telling name).
>
> All these questions, except {} placeholders, are better answered
> within the context of logging frameworks themselves, not in SLF4J, as
> to avoid duplication.

I tend to agree with Thorbjoern...

A friend of mine is a tutor at TU Darmstadt, teaching very fresh
computer science students the very first steps of Java.
He thinks, and I agree, that it's a good idea to show them a proper
logging framework right ahead so they don't even start putting
System.out into their programs.
While he's doing the introduction himself right now, it would be nice
to have a small explanation about e.g. the meaning of the different
levels in addition to the HelloWorld example.
The section on the MDC should at least mention that the values are
stored per-thread. LOG4J and Logback documentation point this out but
SLF4J defines an API  on it's own which Logback happens to implement
so it's probably the wrong way around...

I know that it's pretty hard to write an introduction for n00bs but
your intention should be to "catch them while they are fresh" ;)
If they start using java.util.logging and keep using it because it
somewhat fits their needs and they "know it" then it's bad for the
whole java community. :p

Cheers, and keep it cool, guys,
Joern.