[slf4j-dev] Cross Building SLF4S against Scala versions

Ceki Gülcü ceki at qos.ch
Tue Sep 7 22:53:10 CEST 2010

On 07/09/2010 8:08 PM, Heiko Seeberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Other than Java, Scala software must use the same Scala version for
> build and runtime. Because of this binary incompatibility Scala projects
> must be built against different Scala versions, also known as cross
> building. There is excellent support for cross building in SBT [1], but
> ASFAIK not in the Maven Scala plugin.
>
> As we will probably see Scala 2.8.1 end of this year and milestones and
> release candidates even earlier, this is an important issue for SLF4S.
> How could we deal with that?

There is no way 2.8.1 will be (or can be) incompatible with 2.8. The 2.7
to 2.8 binary incompatibility was a single fluke occurrence.

> (a) Switch the whole build from Maven to SBT: Not sure if that makes
> sense for a +95% Java project
> (b) Try to only build slf4j-scala with SBT: No clue how to integrate SBT
> and Maven; also publishing/deploying will be an issue due to different
> naming strategies for artifacts [2]
> (c) Keep things as they are, i.e. SLF4S as a separate Scala project

b) seems like a reasonable option. I m guessing that SBT can create
maven artifacts.

d) Be simplistic and only target scala 2.8. For example, akka only
targets 2.8 in its latest release. I am confident that for a new library
like slf4j-scala, we can get away with targeting only 2.8. Let's go for d.