[slf4j-dev] OSGi support in slf4j

Heiko Seeberger heiko.seeberger at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 15 09:03:51 CEST 2010

Hi,

My recent changes to the POM of the slf4j-scala-api module show how we
should IMHO be doing OSGi in every module: Don't write the whole manifest
manually, but let the Maven Bundle plugin generate it.

Looking at the manifest of slf4j-api there are several issues:

   - There is no Bundle-Version
   - The bundle symbolic name does not follow "well recognized OSGi
   conventions": It should follow the reverse domain naming convention,
   i.e. org.slf4j.api
   - I guess that SLF4J is compiled to target 1.5. At least for the JUL
   module it has to be 1.4 at minimum. Therefore I doubt that the 1.3 execution
   environment ist the correct setting
   - I think the import for org.slf4j.impl should be optional, but I have to
   play with that one
   - There is no uses directive for the exported packages. Well, that cannot
   be done manually (see Maven Bundle plugin above)

I suggest I give it a try and change the slf4j-api module to also use the
Maven Bundle plugin. Thoughts?

Heiko

Company: weiglewilczek.com
Blog: heikoseeberger.name
Follow me: twitter.com/hseeberger
OSGi on Scala: scalamodules.org
Lift, the simply functional web framework: liftweb.net
Akka - Simpler Scalability, Fault-Tolerance, Concurrency & Remoting through
Actors: akkasource.org