[slf4j-dev] Jira is down! + SLF4J logging wrong line numbers with lambda parameters

Daniel Gray the.daniel.gray at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 12:41:12 CEST 2020

Hello all,

I am writing to first of all notify you that your Jira instance is not
behaving properly and is throwing 500 errors when I try to list the
issues under the SLF4J project. When doing it from an anonymous
account, it just shows an error, but after signing up, it just shows a
popup saying that an error has occurred.

Therefore, I am unable to file a bug report through the conventional
path. The bug consists of SLF4J causing Log4J to log the wrong line
line number when using a lambda parameter. How do I know that it is an
SLF4J bug? I have prepared two sample projects, one only with Log4J,
using lambda parameters, where the line numbers are correct, and an
SLF4J project (using the exact same configuration) where the lambda
reference causes a wrong line number to be used. The two sample
projects can be found here:

Good behavior with log4j:
https://github.com/danielthegray/log4j-nobugsample
Wrong behavior with slf4j:
https://github.com/danielthegray/slf4j-bugsample

I am happy to be guided towards what the best next step is to getting
this fixed. Both of the programs run with a simple "./gradlew run" so
it should be straightforward to reproduce.

Kind regards,
Daniel