[slf4j-user] Slf4J as Shared Library

Sonu Gopal Sachdeva sonugopal at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 02:41:33 CET 2007

Hi,

I have a requirement of having a logging API that can be used to abstract
the underlying logging implementations. Also this logging API can be used as
a shared library, in the sense that you can multiple wars sharing the same
logging API (which is placed at ear level or above).

I am considering Commons Logging and Slf4J. I know Commons Logging can do
this "shared library", but then I have to deal with the various classloading
issues that come with it.

Does Slf4J support similar functionality, from what I have read so far it
seems that slf4j jars should always be placed along with logging impl jars
(for e.g. log4j jars). If I do try to place slf4j jars at a higher level,
then I may run into "interesting' issues when the ear file is deployed with
multiple levels.

And has anybody used Commons Logging 1.1, it claims to resolve the
classloading issues that the earlier version suffered from.

thanks,
Sonu.