[slf4j-user] Slf4j shields from Log4shell via log4j2.formatMsgNoLookups=true

Matt Sicker boards at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 20:43:34 CET 2021

Good to note that this only covers the common use case. That property didn’t end up protecting some advanced use cases that were patched in later releases of log4j-core (CVE-2021-45046 to be specific). It’s a fairly important flag to set in older versions, though, as it’s a fairly broken “feature” as it is regardless of the RCE aspect. Just note that it’s not sufficient to protect against configurations that use lookups to insert user-provided data.
--
Matt Sicker