[slf4j-user] Manifest of jcl-over-slf4j 1.7.35: Invalid under OSGi

Daniel Krügler Daniel.Kruegler at gmx.de
Mon Feb 7 18:47:06 CET 2022

Hi,

I have not found a Jira issue for the following problem yet (I apologize
if I overlooked something):

We are using in our OSGi-based projects the most recent slf4-api plus
some additional dependencies around this release, in particular the
artifact

<dependency>
     <groupId>org.slf4j</groupId>
     <artifactId>jcl-over-slf4j</artifactId>
     <version>${slf4j.version}</version>
</dependency>

Using this bundle in our OSGi container leads to start and build
problems of the form

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invalid version "${log4j.version}":
non-numeric "${log4j"

Looking at the Manifest.MF of that said artifact explains the reason,
because the Export-Package section has the following contents:

Export-Package: org.apache.log4j;version=${log4j.version},org.apache.l
og4j.helpers;version=${log4j.version},org.apache.log4j.spi;version=${
log4j.version},org.apache.log4j.xml;version=${log4j.version}
Import-Package: org.slf4j;version=1.6.0,org.slf4j.helpers;version=1.6.
0,org.slf4j.spi;version=1.6.0

It seems that during the build-process of the bundle the property
${log4j.version} is not properly defined, leading to these unexpanded
entries.
Due to this problem, this artifact version is not useable for us. It
would be great, if this could be fixed for the next version.

Thanks,

- Daniel