[slf4j-user] Release of SLF4J version 1.7.34

Ceki Gülcü ceki at qos.ch
Tue Jan 25 10:14:47 CET 2022

Hello all,

I am very happy to announce the immediate availability of SLF4J
version 1.7.34.

In this release, the "slf4j-log4j12" artifact automatically instructs
Maven to use the "slf4j-reload4j" artifact instead. As you might have
guessed, the "slf4j-reload4j" binding delegates log processing to the
reload4j logging framework.

The reload4j project is a fork of Apache log4j version 1.2.17 with the
goal of fixing pressing security issues. It is intended as a drop-in
replacement for log4j version 1.2.17. By drop-in, we mean the
replacement of log4j.jar with reload4j.jar in your build with no source
code changes in .java files being necessary.

Reload4j project web site:  https://reload4j.qos.ch/

If you are using slf4j-log4j12 as your binding of choice, please
consider using slf4j-reload4j instead. In SLF4J version 1.7.34 and
later, this redirection is seamless and automatic.

Please refer to the the news page for more details on this release:

    http://www.slf4j.org/news.html

The relevant artifacts should hit the Maven central repository within
the next few hours.

The 1.7.x series:

The Simple Logging Facade for Java or (SLF4J) serves as a simple facade
or abstraction for various logging frameworks, e.g. java.util.logging,
reload4j and logback, allowing the end user to plug in the
desired logging framework at deployment time.

Binary compatibility:

Mixing mixing different versions of slf4j-api.jar and SLF4J binding
can cause problems. For example, if you are using slf4j-api-1.7.1.jar,
then you should also use slf4j-simple-1.7.1.jar, using
slf4j-simple-1.5.5.jar will not work.

>From the client's perspective all versions of slf4j-api are
compatible. Client code compiled with slf4j-api-N.jar will run
perfectly fine with slf4j-api-M.jar for any N and M. You only need to
ensure that the version of your binding matches that of the
slf4j-api.jar. You do not have to worry about the version of
slf4j-api.jar used to compile a given dependency in your project. You
can always use *any* version of slf4j-api.jar, and as long as the
version of slf4j-api.jar and its binding match, you should be fine.

Downloading SLF4J:

You can download SLF4J, including full source code, class files and
documentation from Maven central under the "org.slf4j" groupId.

Announcement mailing list:

You can receive SLF4J related announcements by subscribing to the
SLF4J announce mailing list. To subscribe to QOS.ch announce list,
please visit the following URL.

Donations and sponsorship

You can also support SLF4J/logback/reload4j projects via
donations and sponsorship. We thank our current supporters and
sponsors for their continued contributions.

  https://github.com/sponsors/qos-ch

Enjoy,

Please contact support(at)qos.ch for donations, sponsorship or support
contracts related to SLF4J/logback/reload4j projects.