[slf4j-user] Release of SLF4J version 2.0.4

Ceki Gülcü ceki at qos.ch
Thu Nov 17 21:57:41 CET 2022

Hello All,

I am very pleased to announce the release of SLF4J version 2.0.4.

In this release, LoggerFactory uses the class loader that loaded
LoggerFactory class itself to find providers of type
SLF4JServiceProvider. Previously, the thread context class loader
was used. This was unintentional and the current behavior more
closely matches that of the SLF4J 1.7 series and earlier.

Please refer to the the news page for more details on this
release:

    http://www.slf4j.org/news.html

The 2.0.x series introduces a backward-compatible fluent logging
API. By backward-compatible, we mean that existing logging
frameworks do not have to be changed in order for the user to
benefit from the fluent logging API.  However, existing
frameworks *must* migrate to the ServiceLoader mechanism.  The
resulting internal changes are detailed in the FAQ page.

  http://www.slf4j.org/faq.html#changesInVersion200

The 2.0.x series builds upon the the 1.8.x series which was
modularized per Java Platform Module System (JPMS/Jigsaw).

The 2.0.x series requires Java 8.

Binary compatibility:

Mixing mixing different versions of slf4j-api.jar and SLF4J
provider can cause problems.  For example, if you are using
slf4j-api-2.0.0.jar, then you should also use
slf4j-simple-2.0.0.jar, using slf4j-simple-1.5.5.jar will not
work.

With the exception of the fluent API (new in SLF4J 2.0.x), from
the client's perspective all versions of slf4j-api are
compatible. Client code compiled with slf4j-api-N.jar will run
perfectly fine with slf4j-api-M.jar for any N and M.  You only
need to ensure that the version of your provider matches that of
the slf4j-api.jar. You do not have to worry about the version of
slf4j-api.jar used to compile a given dependency in your
project. You can always use *any* version of slf4j-api.jar, and
as long as the version of slf4j-api.jar and its provider match,
you should be fine.

Donations and sponsorship

You can also support SLF4J/logback/reload4j projects via
donations and sponsorship. We thank our current supporters and
sponsors for their continued contributions.

Sponsorship link: https://github.com/sponsors/qos-ch

Announcement mailing list:

You can receive SLF4J/logback/reload4j related announcements by
subscribing QOS.ch announce list, please visit the following URL.