[logback-dev] AS/400 specific logback project.

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen ravn at runjva.com
Mon Nov 17 21:39:36 CET 2008

Ceki Gulcu skrev:
> Hi Thorbjørn,
>
> Thank you for your proposal and for considering logback as a host for your
> software. How about setting up a sub-module for this? It could be under
> logback/logback-as400 (please confirm my choice of name). Do you rather it
> became an entirely different project?
I believe you are the one who best can judge the location, and I can
just give the facts as objectively as I can.

This will introduce a dependency on the jt400 project (which should be
in maven) so compilation should be possible on any Java platform.
Testing will require an AS/400 box.  If this catches on, then I believe
it should be possible to arrange something either with IBM or others.
Time will tell.  This also goes for the number of interested users :)

I expect this code to be very stable and unchanging when mature, simply
because the AS/400 is extremely focused on backward compatability.  It
will most likely be changes in either slf4j or logback that will trigger
changes.

There is precedent of JMS classes being in logback-classic (most likely
to be log4j compatible), but I have no idea how hard this has been to
maintain, so I'll leave it up to you.

--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen  "...plus... Tubular Bells!"