[logback-dev] Git as a version control system?

Joern Huxhorn jhuxhorn at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 7 10:58:02 CEST 2009

On 07.08.2009, at 10:30, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen wrote:

> Ceki Gulcu skrev:
>>
>> My question is then whether moving to git is worth the trouble and
>> whether it will encourage contributions by making it easier for
>> developers to contribute. From a strictly personal point of view, the
>> fact that git works in disconnected mode is a killer feature.
> Since you are the project leader, and the primary committer, I
> believe you should do whatever you think allows you to be more
> efficient while still allowing others to provide patches.
>
> I agree with Robert that good tooling is essential.

There is a Java implementation of git available at http://
www.jgit.org/ so I guess tooling (Maven, Eclipse) is really just a
question of time. The current IDEA is already supporting git.

I've never used GIT beside checking out a repository but I have only
heard praise from people that are using it regularly. For Windows, http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/
  seems to do a pretty good job. For Mac OS X there's a tool called
GitX http://gitx.frim.nl/ but I haven't tried it yet. Looks promising.

You can find a seemingly very good book on GIT at http://progit.org/book/
  - reading it is still pretty high on my TODO list.

I'd like to encourage that you give it a try - that way I have to do
the same ;)

Joern.