[logback-dev] Git as a version control system?

Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen ravn at runjva.com
Fri Aug 7 10:30:53 CEST 2009

Ceki Gulcu skrev:

> My question is then whether moving to git is worth the trouble and
> whether it will encourage contributions by making it easier for
> developers to contribute. From a strictly personal point of view, the
> fact that git works in disconnected mode is a killer feature.
Since you are the project leader, and the primary committer, I believe
you should do whatever you think allows you to be more efficient while
still allowing others to provide patches.

I agree with Robert that good tooling is essential.

Sun have chosen Mercurial due to its distributed feature so Netbeans
will have good Mercurial support.  Since git is written by Thorvalds who
apparently do have zero interest in the Java community, I believe the
tooling will be at best mediocre.

In my experience changing source repository platform is similar to
changing operating system.  Not something you do everyday.

(and we still use CVS at work, since the benefits of good tools strongly
overshadow the deficiencies of CVS ... for us!).

--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen  "...plus... Tubular Bells!"