[logback-user] loggingPermission

charles gay charles.gay at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 00:43:09 CET 2006

hi Ceki,
firstly, i want to say thank you very much for your great contribution in
open source!!(and thanks to the logback team for the initiative)
so many people use log4j!( and  in the future logback).

about the security need:
that's the same than the one which is implemented in java.util.logging
package:
prevent unauthorized users or code to modify programmatically logging
configuration.
browsing your code, i think you can add this security check at
GenericConfigurator methods, or maybe at a higher level, i.e
ContextAwareBase class (maybe to securize the setContext method).

how to do it?
that's straightforward:
you need to decide if all these methods requires the same permission, or you
want to selectively give access depending on the user/code specific
loggingPermisison.
imagine all logging configuration access is enabled with the
loggingPermisison("control"), like in the java.util.logging;
i.e, if the user or code have got the loggingpermission, you will grant
acess to the protected method.
how to do the seucrity check:
you have only to insert in the start of your method:
if(System.getSecurityManager!=null={
AccessController.checkPermisison(new LogginPermission("control');
}

and that's all!!
if the securitymanager is not enabled, you will not have security check, and
if its enabled, the security architecture will do the security check for
you.
if access is granted, it will continue silently, otherwise, a
securityException will be raised.
simple and elegant as my opinion.

do you need other details?

cheers,