[logback-user] FileNamePattern

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Wed Feb 4 21:10:23 CET 2009

Hello Neil,

FileNamePattern does not support the %d when used within
FixedWindowRollingPolicy. Only %i is supported. It's a currentlimitation of the
code.

I suggest that you enter a jira issue requesting simultaneous support for %d and
%i. Referencing or copying this thread would set a context for the problem which
would be helpful.

Cheers,

Neil Lott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using a FileNamePattern with a FixedWindowPolicy:
>

> Here's my appender:
>
> <appender name="FILE"
> class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender">
>         <file>/usr/local/mystro/logs/MSAServer.log</file>
>         <append>true</append>
>
>         <rollingPolicy
> class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.FixedWindowRollingPolicy">
>
> <FileNamePattern>/usr/local/neil/logs/MSAServer.%i.%d{yyyyMMdd-HHmmss}.gz</FileNamePattern>
>
>             <MinIndex>1</MinIndex>
>             <MaxIndex>3</MaxIndex>
>         </rollingPolicy>
>
>         <triggeringPolicy
> class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy">
>             <MaxFileSize>1KB</MaxFileSize>
>         </triggeringPolicy>
>
>         <layout class="ch.qos.logback.classic.PatternLayout">
>             <Pattern>%d{ISO8601} %-5level [%thread]
> \(%logger{0}.%M:%L\\) - %msg%n</Pattern>
>         </layout>
>     </appender>
>
> Here's the exception when the file rolls -- I had to alter the rollover
> method of FixedWindowPolicy in order to catch throwable to see what was
> going on:
>
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot convert 3 of
> typejava.lang.Integer
>     at
> ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.helper.DateTokenConverter.convert(DateTokenConverter.java:60)
[snip]