[logback-user] Substituting class/method names in logback log files with original names when deploying obfuscated code

Christopher BROWN brown at reflexe.fr
Mon Dec 5 14:27:03 CET 2011

Hello Ceki,

Thanks for that information.  After looking into your suggestions, it seems
the most straightforward way to intercept this is by accessing *
PatternLayout.defaultConverterMap* at application startup to install either
an overriding or alternative converter in the *Map<String,String>*, most
likely by basing the implementation on *ClassOfCallerConverter*.

However, this led me onto the conversion "*%ex*" which seems to be
implemented by *ThrowableProxyConverter*, and I'm guessing I need to do
some work here too: I'm guessing I need to provide an implementation of *
IThrowableProxy*, such as a subclass of *ThrowableProxy* that overrides *
getStackTraceElementProxyArray()*?  Here, I'm guessing I'd need to call *
super.getStackTraceElementProxyArray()* and build an equivalent array of
proxies whenever the underlying stack trace elements refer to a package I
know to be obfuscated.  Would that be correct?  If so, where and how can I
install my implementation of *IThrowableProxy*?

As for the example you cited with ConversionRuleAction, I'm guessing it's
the "cleanest" approach to the API (no assumptions about layout or encoder)
but requiring the use of Joran/XML configuration?

Thanks again,
Christopher