[logback-user] Help with logback configuration

jaybytez jaybytez at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 20:03:32 CET 2011

So I backed out everything and am trying to go to something very basic.
Everything logs to the console, but nothing to the single log file.

1) I have the two logback jars and slf jars in WebLogic's lib directory.
2) I have the following added to the startManagedWebLogic.cmd so the config
file is externalized
[-Dlogback.statusListenerClass=ch.qos.logback.core.status.OnConsoleStatusListener
-Dlogback.configurationFile=C:\NotBackedUp\tools\wls_10.3.4.0\user_projects\domains\fsscDomain\lib\logback.xml].
3) I have the following configuration below:
<configuration>

  <appender name="sc-resources.log"
class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender">

<file>C:/NotBackedUp/tools/wls_10.3.4.0/user_projects/domains/fsscDomain/logs/sc-resources.log</file>
    <append>true</append>
    <prudent>true</prudent>
    <rollingPolicy
class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.TimeBasedRollingPolicy">
      <!-- daily rollover -->

<fileNamePattern>C:/NotBackedUp/tools/wls_10.3.4.0/user_projects/domains/fsscDomain/logs/sc-resources.%d{yyyy-MM-dd}.log</fileNamePattern>

      <!-- keep 30 days worth of history -->
      <maxHistory>10</maxHistory>
    </rollingPolicy>
    <encoder>
      <pattern>%d [%thread] %level %logger - %m%n</pattern>
    </encoder>
  </appender>

  <appender name="stdout" class="ch.qos.logback.core.ConsoleAppender">
    <encoder>
      <pattern>%d [%thread] %level %logger - %m%n</pattern>
    </encoder>
  </appender>

  <root level="trace">
    <appender-ref ref="stdout" />
    <appender-ref ref="sc-resources.log"/>
  </root>
</configuration>

The log files are created, logger statements write to the console, but
nothing ever gets written to the log files.

Please let me know what I can do to get this working...

Is it not recommended to have an externalized config file?  Because I might
have scenarios where I have an Admin Server and n+1 Managed Servers that
exist in the JVM and multiple wars can be deployed on those Managed Servers
so I assume they will be writing to the same log file...which seems to be a
problem.  But even if I put in prudent to test...it doesn't work.

Here is the WebLogic Console (again...nothing gets written to the log file,
but I do see items going to the console):

Thanks for your help,

Jay