[logback-user] Using logback access

Yuvaraj Vanarase yuvaraj.vanarase at synechron.com
Wed Nov 16 07:05:18 CET 2011

Hi,

I have 2 questions.

1.      What is logback access exactly. Is it about providing webserver request information in terms of log. Doesn't such facility come with web server itself? (catalina.log for tomcat etc)

2.       I am trying to use logback access with Tomcat, however just not getting there. It would be great if someone points out any miss-outs.

Below are details:

-Tomcat 6.0.33
-Logback core 0.9.30
-Logback access 0.9.30

I have put above logback jars into tomcat jar directory. I have added 'Valve' configuration in server.xml and as required put the logback-access.xml in conf directory of tomcat. I referred http://logback.qos.ch/access.html

My webapp has single simple servlet that just prints login name on page which has been input from html login form. This works well however I do not see any logback initialization logs. When I query 'AccessViewStatusMessages', again I do not see any messages except one 'Could not find status manager'

Here is logback-access.xml content:

<configuration debug="true">
  <!-- always a good activate OnConsoleStatusListener -->
  <statusListener class="ch.qos.logback.core.status.OnConsoleStatusListener" />

  <appender name="STDOUT" class="ch.qos.logback.core.ConsoleAppender">
    <encoder>
      <pattern>%h %l %u %user %date "%r" %s %b</pattern>
    </encoder>
  </appender>

  <appender-ref ref="STDOUT" />
</configuration>