[logback-user] Building logback when tests fail

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen thunderaxiom at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 28 11:11:13 CEST 2011

Hi.

After quite a bit of poking I found several things:

* IntelliJ IDEA 9 didn't support the Scala facet.

* IntelliJ IDEA 10 Community Edition works.  You need to install the Scala
facet _first_ and configure it inside IDEA, and under Windows install the
latest git distribution before using the github method on the front page to
pull out from a VCS.

Now I have a workspace without compilation errors and absolutely no idea of
how to continue from here in an IDE I am unfamiliar with.  It is a testament
to the usefulness of logback that I even got this far without deciding my
time is better used on something else.

May I suggest that you consider lowering the threshold of how much work is
actually needed to be _able_ to contribute to logback?

If I want to add a few lines to the current "How to build logback"
instructions on the web sites, I am expected to open a _bug report_
preferably with a patch attached to the underlying html-pages which you then
need to have time to approve, check in, rebuild and deploy the website.
That is probably not optimal.  As you already know JIRA, you might also find
Confluence (the Atlassian Wiki product) interesting, and it is free for open
source projects
(http://www.atlassian.com/software/views/open-source-license-request).

If you want to keep strict control of the official documentation, then just
have a "Comments" link on the bottom of each page for a identically named
page in Confluence.

For now, I have decided that I will develop the JDK14Appender I need based
on a binary logback distribution instead.

Thanks for your prompt help

/Thorbjørn